Online and Onsite
MBA in Creative Enterprise
What will your IMPACT be?
"Business has become, in this last half century, the most powerful institution on the planet. The dominant institution in any society needs to take responsibility for the whole...Every decision that is made, every action that is taken must be viewed in light of that responsibility. This requires more than incremental adjustment; it calls for a fundamental redefinition of business as a social partner."Willis Harman, World Business Academy; author, Global Mind Change
Students in our MBA program imagine business differently. They imagine business fueled by visionary shifts in thinking, new business models, the power of collaborative alliances, how to unlock creativity through crossing disciplinary and organizational boundaries.
Our students are change leaders. They are visionary, interested in fourth sector and hybrid organizations, excited about emergent trends in conscious capitalism, hanging out at HUBs, business professionals with a passion for living in a beautiful world, women leaning into their unique role in transforming business, and social entrepreneurs expressing deep purpose through their organizations.
Why Creative Enterprise?
Our Creative Enterprise MBA is important in two ways.
First, it is how we teach the program. Our approach is based on principles of transformative learning where we honor the whole person – equipping the student with a mindset that takes on multiple perspectives, plus a skillset that provides competency in self-awareness, performing skillful actions, creating meaningful stakeholder relationships, and building effective systems.
Second, it is what we teach in the program. Our curriculum is designed on principles of creative enterprise theory where we honor the whole system (organizational + social + environmental + global). On the foundation of core business functions we build fluency in relation to four interwoven elements:
- Cultivating Right Relationship
- Restoring the Planetary Commons
- Producing Transformative Innovation
- Transforming Business as a Profession
This curriculum enables our students to be progressive business leaders who practice generative and creative enterprise in a way that deeply honors human relationship and celebrates our role in being stewards of the global commons.
At Meridian University our students imagine business differently because we practice business education differently.
The following concentrations are offered for the business program:
- Global Enterprise
- The Meridian MBA concentration in Global Enterprise focuses on the business systems and knowledge domains required for creative enterprises with niche markets that span the globe.
- Social Enterprise
- The Meridian MBA concentration in Social Enterprise focuses on the relationship between the public and private sectors and the impact of business on society.
- Sustainable Enterprise
- The Meridian MBA concentration in Sustainable Enterprise focuses on sustainable policy, practice and technology that transform the ecological impact of business on society.
- Developmental Enterprise
- The Meridian MBA concentration in Developmental Enterprise focuses on the complexity capability that 21st century business leaders, management consultants, and entrepreneurs must mobilize to transform the complex marketplace challenges associated with emerging technologies and diversified global markets.
- Transformative Innovation
- The Meridian MBA concentration in Transformative Innovation focuses on the theory and practice of transformation as applied to the integration of technological innovation with cultural and social innovation, informing the impact of entrepreneurship on society.
Diverse Learning Formats
Our MBA uses a number of learning formats to support your education. We use weeklong face-to-face seminars twice a year, online courses, regular activities at the Oakland HUB, internships, and teleseminars. Together these formats provide a very rich learning context that supports personal transformation, deep relationships, and professional skills.
MBA students spend two one-week sessions each year, once in the Winter and once and the Summer. Online Courses will be taught online and will include synchronous and asynchronous elements. This combination makes our program easy to integrate into your current professional and personal life.
Impact HUB Oakland
The Impact HUB is an international network of workspaces and communication platforms for engaged social entrepreneurs. Meridian's classes and events at Impact HUB Oakland foster student interaction with inspiring social entrepreneurs and other leaders of creative enterprise acting at "the intersection of money and meaning".
Meridian has over two dozen intern sites throughout the greater San Francisco Bay Area that students can choose from to match and expand their interests. Click here to learn more details.
In addition to the formats detailed above we also provide lecture series, mentoring, and other participative activities that build upon the core curriculum, helping students develop the business savvy, ability to respond to rapid change, and networking opportunities they need to be successful social entrepreneurs and executives.
The Spirit of Enterprise Conversation Series
Can the impact of business shift from exploiting to serving and regenerating the commons? How can we best learn the skills and capacities to actualize these aspirations? Come explore these and related questions during Meridian's online conversation series with organizational leaders and social innovators. Registrants get access to future conversations as well as the archive.
"We are currently preparing students for jobs that don't yet exist, using technologies that have not been invented, in order to solve problems we don't even know are problems yet."Karl Fisch
Information Session for Prospective MBA Students
If you're interested in an introduction to the MBA at Meridian University, we invite you to participate in an information session where you'll have the opportunity to:
- Meet with Meridian faculty and staff.
- Speak with Admissions staff regarding the application process.
- Schedule individual information meetings for a later date with faculty and admissions staff.
Information includes how Meridian's MBA Program supports our students to be progressive business leaders who practice creative enterprise in a way that deeply honors human relationship and celebrates our role in being stewards of the global commons. Prospective students will have the opportunity to meet with Meridian faculty and staff.
Information session attendance is free of charge, but registration is required.