Meridian University is committed to creating a pluralist learning community. We seek a diverse group of students and welcome applications from all qualified individuals. Our intention is to develop and nurture a learning community in which students and faculty can learn together in an atmosphere of mutual respect. We welcome differences in age, economic status, race, ethnic background, religion, origin, gender, sexual orientation, physical challenge, political views, personal characteristics, and beliefs.
Applying to Meridian University
Meridian accepts admissions applications throughout the year.
Official transcripts and application materials may also be sent to:Admissions Office
47 Sixth Street
Petaluma, CA 94952
- A Bachelor's degree is required for admission to Meridian's Graduate Programs.
- Applicants who possess a Master's in Psychology (or related field) may apply for Advanced Standing status in the psychology Ph.D. or Psy.D. degree programs.
- All students are expected to be proficient in the English language as all instruction at Meridian University is offered in English (see section on International Students).
Once all of the required materials have been received, the admissions committee will review your application. After this review, you may be contacted to schedule an admissions interview. The admissions interview can be conducted in person at our Petaluma Center or via Skype. Once the interview is completed, you will be contacted within one to two weeks regarding the admissions decision and next steps. An admissions advisor is available to you during the entire process.
Upon acceptance, students submit a $250 tuition deposit to reserve their space in the program and receive an Enrollment Packet from the Records Office.
Admissions Application and Fee
A complete admissions application and nonrefundable application fee of $50 USD is required to begin processing your application materials.
- To submit an application online: Meridian's online admissions application should be completed and submitted in one sitting. You will not be able to save your application and return to it. Please gather together the information and documents you need before you begin. You should be prepared to enter your personal information and academic history. Your transcripts, letters of recommendation, and personal statement may be submitted now or at a later date.
Start Online Application
- Please contact the Admissions Team for information about applying via hardcopy.
What You Will Need to Apply
- Admissions Application: A complete admissions application is required and may be completed online using the online admissions application, or submitted by email/mail by completing the PDF version.
- Official Academic Transcript(s): Official transcripts are required from all post-secondary institutions from which you earned 12 or more quarter units. Transcripts must be received in sealed envelopes and may be mailed directly to our office (47 Sixth Street, Petaluma, CA 94952) Electronic transcripts are accepted if sent directly from the academic institution.
- Three Admission Recommendations: Three Admission Recommendation forms and accompanying letters of recommendation are required. Recommendations should be sought from individuals who can respond to your readiness to successfully complete Meridian's degree program. If possible, you should include recommendations from persons familiar with your academic and, if applicable, clinical background.
Admission Recommendation Form
- Personal Statement (5-7 pages): A personal statement (5-7 pages, double-spaced) is required. Your personal statement should highlight the formative and significant experiences in your life, and how those experiences have influenced you in choosing to pursue your vocation or profession. Consider how periods of life and career transition have contributed to your awareness. Consider what it is about you that will enable you to benefit from Meridian's degree program.
- Application fee of $50 USD: A non-refundable application fee of $50 USD is required to process your application. You may pay this fee by check or money order (payable to Meridian University), credit card, or paypal.
- Writing Sample (maximum of seven pages)
- Resume or CV
The following criteria are utilized in assessing a prospective student at the time admissions:
- Admissions Application.
- Academic ability: Demonstrated and potential academic excellence.
- Intellectual vitality: Individual’s overall excitement towards learning and interest in transformative learning.
- Applicant’s initiative in seeking out opportunities for enhancing their knowledge base.
- Potential for leadership, as demonstrated through the applicant’s personal character and professional competence.
- Personal qualities and community/professional contributions.
- Performance at interview(s).
- Other qualifications and experience, as relevant.
- Conduct demonstrating professionalism.
Meridian's curriculum is designed for students to take courses in sequence. Transfer credits from other schools are reviewed at the time of admission, prior to enrollment, at the student's request. Transfer units may be granted up to a maximum of 45 quarter units for the PsyD, PhD, and EdD, or 9 quarter units towards Master's degrees (M.A. in Psychology, M.A. in Counseling Psychology, M.Ed., MBA).
International students are welcome to apply for admission into Meridian's Graduate Degree Programs. All courses at Meridian are conducted in English. Students whose native language is not English are required to submit the results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). For admission, students are required to receive a score of 550 paper-based or 213 computer-based. At this time, Meridian does not offer visa services.
International transcripts created in languages other than English must be submitted as literal translations prior to admission and must be mailed for evaluation to the World Education Services (WES) or American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).World Education Services
Bowling Green Station, P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Web: http://www.wes.orgAACRAO International Education Services
One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 520
Washington DC 20036
AACRAO or WES will issue a Basic Statement of Comparability or a course-by-course evaluation. AACRAO or WES should then send these directly to Meridian University. All other admissions documents must be submitted in English.
Meridian University holds a policy of non-discrimination. All interested persons who meet the admissions criteria are encouraged to apply. All application materials, once submitted, become the property of Meridian University and will not be returned, reprinted, or photocopied.